In 1864, the Jewish community in Libočany was transferred into Saaz. Synagogue Libočany was canceled and house No. 638 in Prague Street (away from the Circle Square to the monastery, today Obránců míru), which for several years was a makeshift prayer hall was purchased. Religious articles of Libočanská synagogue there were also transferred.
The establishment of the Jewish community in Saaz was protocoled by 20 March 1864 under the chairmanship of the head of Mr. Joachim Leder in house no. 638 Unfortunately, this protocol has already been lost. But statutes of the newly established Jewish community are stored with the original registry office of the 19th century in the archive in Louny.
Given that the Jewish community in Saaz continued to grow, the community Bureau under the management of Joachim Lederdecided to build their own synagogue. For this purpose, the building in Long Street, No. 200 was purchased. This house was part of the housing and also on the north side. This part has been estimated as a place for a new synagogue. The construction began in 1871 under the direction and according to the plans of Johann Staniek and already on March 19, 1872 it was inaugurated and consecrated by Rabbi Dr. Abraham Frank. In 1911, the synagogue was renovated and new paintings were given by family Fanny and Alois Löbl a family of Anne and K|arel Glaser.
In November 1938, the synagogue was set on fire by local National Socialists, and nearly all of its interior burned. Only thanks to the rapid intervention of firefighters from Saaz it didn´t burn down. During World War II, the Nazis used the synagogue as a hospital ans as an auxiliary school. During this time disappeared and benches and organ. After the war, the synagogue was used to agricultural cooperative as a store and it was totally devastated. Dnes patří synagoga obchodní společnosti s kazašskými majiteli a její budoucnost a využití je nejasné.????
As early as the First World War 1914 -1918 left its mark on the sons of members of the Jewish community, many of them in this World War II were killed or died based on their injury or illness, which they have contracted during the war. During the duration of the First world war were in Saaz several hundred Jewish war refugees from Galicia and Bukowina. The Jewish community in Saaz was in charge and gave them food and accommodation at their own cost.
Saaz were several Jewish foundations, which were founded by wealthy Jewish merchants and also some cultural and sporting associations which participated in the cultural and economic life, thus contributing to the wealth and development of the city.
Source: Mändel, Fiedler